Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My funniest line

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I don't remember the date, the month or the year, but I do remember what happened. My friend (who was also my roommate) had just got his first motorbike, and he wasn't that experienced riding it. We needed to go to another friend's place at night in the rain (and if you know Sri Lankan rain, you'll know what I am talking about). Although the friend lived only a couple of miles away, we knew that it was gonna be a wet and wild ride through the streets of the suburbs of Colombo (the 120 route towards Piliyandala, for those who know the area) I grabbed my umbrella (affectionately named Harold) and we took off..

There we were, two guys, each well over 200lb, on a small-to-medium sized motorbike, in the rain at night (I guess it was about 11), holding an umbrella.

We finally arrived at our (highly amused) friend's place, where a bunch of them were gathered to work on a drama (Tennyson Cooray's Kurulla, for anyone who cares). The guys were talking about giving publicity to the event, so that all tickets will be sold out etc etc.. and one guy (whom I had never met before that date) got into a bit of a ramble about what they would have to do if the tickets are not sold. He ended with "If we can't sell them, do we stick them up our asses?" (keep in mind that this whole conversation happened in Sinhala, and I am translating the best I can) and there was a 2 second pause, after which I automatically said "That's not impossible" (in Sinhala - "Ekath karanna bari naa"). The silence was deafening. The guy had no idea who I was and was staring at me. Everyone was... Then everyone realised that I had just broken the tension.

For the sake of completeness, the drama was successful and profitable, and there wasn't a single reported case of one or more tickets going up anyone's anus.

No comments: